Interview Still Living (23-12-2016)
There has to be a first time for everything they say so here's my first ever interview with a band ! I had the pleasure of interviewing my friend "Renato Costa" from Still Living (Brazil).
These guys are 4 very tallented musicians with 2 albums out so far and a bright future ahaid of them !
1) Hi Renato for the readers that still don't know Still Living that well,can you give a short info about the band ?
Still Living was founded in 2004.
The initial intention was only having fung playing some songs of progressive rock and rock n' roll songs.
But things got more serious and, between 2005-2008, two demos were released: "Still Living" and "Believe".
After some line up exchanges, I entered the band, in 2010.
In this year, we started recording our first album, From Now On, released in 2012. Our first full length !
At 2015, already with the current line-up, we released our second album, Humanity !
We have worked hard since the beginning and lots of thing were done !!!
Our main influences are Bon Jovi, Journey, Europe, Whitesnake, Survivor, Queen... but we have searched for our own identity !
2) So this is already 3rd line up change for the band ?
Actually, untill 2010, lots of exchanges happened ! Two others singers passed by the band before me.
Eduardo Holanda (Guitar) is the only one who remains from the beginning !
But all in all, you're right. It's the 3rd line-up change. And I hope it's the last one !
3) You guys have 2 cd's out now ? I've known you since may 2015 about when 2nd cd came out Why is distribution so hard from where you live & why did you reïssue the 1st cd ?
Well, I think that AOR/Melodic Rock doesn't do part of brazilian musical culture.
It's getting expanded through last years, but not as influent as it is in Europe and Japan, for example.
Actually, here in our country, we are not so much recognized. It's slowly changing, but the difficulties are so many here.
And about our 1st CD, we released it in 2012, in CD-R format. Our first demand was from Japan, and there (as in the rest of the world) people don't like CD-R.
But CD-R was the cheapest way to release our album and we are very anxious to do it.
When things got better financially, it was the first thing we thought !
"Let's reissue our first album, but now in CD format" !!
4) I still discover almost weekly new & very good bands from Brazil and as you said the melodic genre is growing !! But still european distribution is the common problem ! Do you many other bands or so ?
No, I don't. I'm totally focusing at working with Still Living. We don't have so much time because our other jobs (I'm a police, for example). We all have other jobs ! None of us lives only by the music.
And about Brazil... ...really a lot of great bands are appearing (as Marenna, Púrpura Ink, Superticious, Vallet, Auras, Silver Mammoth, among others) and the genre is slowly growing !
Maybe the difficulties are a matter of geografic distance, although internet is approaching us all !
5) That's a fact , the band is getting more known as we speak and with 2 video clips out so far things are looking good ! Why the choice for shelter (one of my favorites) as 2nd video ?
It's right because that! It's one of our favorites too ! Actually, Shelter is a very full-hearted song ! Emotional in all the aspects. It's a claim for help, for saving, I can say!
Things that we all encountered throughout our
Shelter is the right expression of our musical intention: Thrilling people with every single note played.
The video is very simple (because, as you know, we can't afford a better production)
but is made with all of our hearts.
And the dance number of the actress Helena Belo is very impressive, in my opinion.
6) The video is more than fine my friend ! I actually love this low budged stuff...because then I can focus more on the music !! And yes I sure didn't miss Helena !!
She will be very glad when I show this interview for her !
7) About 2 months ago the band gave "The history of singles" as a free download to the world ! Was this an idea from the band or ?
A great idea from Eduardo Holanda. He always has good ideas about the band ! It has already more than 12 000 downloads. This EP tells our story and how our music is evolving along this time.
Here's the download link for those who still haven't got this !! DOWNLOAD.
8) I have it !! I just love this , it's a nice gift for the fans !! Eduardo is a smart guy !
Yes ! He is! He's the brain of the band ! Things work well because of him ! He has leadership feature !
9) With only 1 week before the new year ! Are you guys already working on new songs ?
What can we expect next year ?
It's a very interesting question, my friend. The first thing I have to tell is that this new album will be a concept album ! We will tell a story of a simple man (like the most of us) that lives in a world that he can't understand ! We will talk about humans again ! But now, in a very attractive story !
The songs are already written and, next month, we'll be hitting the studio. Working with Aldecy Souza once again ! He's a great friend and will help us with the production ! He's, musically, a genious ! He helps us a lot with his experience and talent for production !
About the songs, I can tell you that we are coming a little bit heavier,but always focus on our melodies and keeping our way to do it !
I think that you can expect our best album ever. Hehehehe !!
10) Sounds very promising I must say !! You guys also recently signed with new label / distributor !!
Yeah! We have signed with the Dutch label Rock Company (Rockcompany.nl).
They're really near from you, right !
Our next album, Mr. Mirror, will be distributed in Europe by them. It's very exciting, because it means that some new doors will be opened. Peter Cox has kept touch with us and we are looking forward for the release !
11) Why the change and how did you find out about the Rock company ?
The change has happened because we will be more visibil in Europe then ! We found Rock company sending emails for some european labels introducing our music !
They answered us promptly , so we started the deal and signed this promising partnership !
12) It will be much easier for the fans to buy the cd and that's a great thing. With the future looking very promising for the band what do you personally think about the future of melodic) rock ? Brazil or worldwide ?
I think that the world is an eternal circle of renovation ! Melodic Rock/AOR/Hard Rock will always be here,played by good bands around the world, like it's happening in Brazil ! I'm optimstic about Melodic Rock world scenery !
And about the future of Still Living, I expect that this third album can lead us to a good place in this scenery ! And that our music will generate more interest throughout the world. Thrilling people is our main goal !
13) I'm hooked already !! I'm more than sure that Still Living will grow with the 3rd cd and gain more fans wordlwide ! Any other wise words for the fans maybe ?
I would like to thank you all for supporting us since 2012, when we released our debut ! It's unbelievable the reaction about our music. Surreal for us ! All that we have to do is thank all the people by opening their minds for our job !
And, thank you, Gino, for supporting us since we knew you ! It's an honour for us being here talking to you !
14) The honour is mutual my friend. I'll keep doing what I'm doing (my website is running very good) I'll keep supporting the smaller bands and the music they make !!
Still Living is one of my finest discoveries the last years ! You guys are the best , feels like we're friends for ages !!
You've done a great job, my friend! A very important work of "Archeology of bands". Heheheh ! It's exactly how I feel about you, Gino !
I really hope that we meet soon (in a european festival, maybe). Dreaming is free as they say !
15) I'm more than sure that we will meet in time !! We have the same passion so it's just a matter of time !!
One more thing maybe before we close this interview ! Not many know this I think but we have another mutual passion !! You're just like me a huge Kamelot fan ??
Yeah ! Sure ! Personally, Kamelot is the band that I listen to the most ! I'm an enthusiastic fan of the band and, mainly, of Roy Khan.
He's what I call a "Master of Interpretation" his voice is magnificent !
Tommy Kaverik is another fine reference for me ! And their lyrics are one of my main inspirations ! You could say I'm addicted to Kamelot (more in the older phases).
16) Feels like I'm talking to myself !! This band is just amazing and Roy was indeed the master of interpretation on stage !! But Tommy is a excellent replacement !!
Of course! Tommy was a great gift for Kamelot. No one could replace Khan as well as him ! Tommy is divine too ! His interpretation is wonderful and he is perfect live !
17) You know your music my friend !! I wanna thank you for this great interview Renato !
Keep on believing in the true spirit of music my friend !
My greetings also to the rest of the band and may you all have a very merry christmas and an amazing new year !!!!!!
Thanks a lot, my friend ! I want to thank you for giving us this honour of being the very first band interviewed by you !
Merry Christmas, peace and a great new year ! I hope that 2017 bring you some peace and lots of new AOR/Melodic Rock bands.
And thanks for your friendship ! I hope you had had fun with this interview as much as I have.